The South Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Program (SOSCP) is seeking a dynamic and skilled professional to help local government partners advance their ecological goals and encourage biodiversity conservation practices in the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen.
Reporting to the South Okanagan-Similkameen Conservation Program (SOSCP) Manager, and working closely with senior municipal/regional planning staff, this unique advisory and technical contract position is responsible for environmental review, policy, and technical land use assistance, ensuring that plans, policies and projects reflect an integrated approach for biodiversity and improved environmental conservation practices on behalf of the municipalities/regional district.
- Post-Secondary degree in biological sciences (including terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, conservation biology, fish and wildlife management and biodiversity) Natural Resources Management, Environmental Planning, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
- 3 to 5 years of increasingly responsible professional environmental management experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence – Class 5.
- Registered as Professional Biologist (RPBio) in B.C. with the College of Applied Biology, or eligible to become a Professional Biologist within 6 months.
- Experience in a professional biological capacity including: development or review of development proposals, subdivisions, development permits, and environmental assessments.
- Experience with geospatial analysis and environmental data using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and thorough working knowledge of species and ecosystems databases.
- Thorough knowledge of South Okanagan Similkameen terrestrial and aquatic species and ecosystems.
- Detailed knowledge of municipal, provincial and federal environmental regulations, reporting requirements, standards and codes of practice.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the planning and land use legislation applicable to Municipal and other local governments in British Columbia.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to teamwork and customer service.
- Strong presentation and public speaking abilities, with experience and/or training in facilitation methods.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of MS Office and related software, general office equipment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to analyze data, prepare written correspondence and reports, prepare and make presentations to staff, the public, and elected officials.
This is a full time contracted position to March 31, 2020; contract fees are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qualified applicants may submit a detailed resume, with cover letter, by Monday August 12th, 2019 at 4:00 p.m., to:
“SOSCP Land Use Biologist” C/O South Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Program (SOSCP) 102 Industrial Place, Penticton BC V2A 7C8, or E-mail (Word or PDF format only) firstname.lastname@example.org